AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH CEO WILLYWEARS HOSTED BY THE PACE NEWS... (MUST READ)


The Pace News reporter, Mustapha Abdul-Raheem caught up with the proprietor of Willy Wears and Associates, Seyi Williams, popularly known as Willy Wears. Wiily Wears and Associates is a leading fashion group of the prestigious Lagos State Universty, LASU. 
In a long and revealing interview session, the graduate of Lagos State Univesity, from the department of English Literature got down to answer questions on issues regarding the Brand, Willy Wears and Associates – Fashion My Attitude; his personal life, future plans and so much more. Below is the thrilling question and answer session with Willy Wears.
You are popularly called “Willy Wears” that some hardly know your real name. What’s your real name and how did you come up with the name “Willy Wears?”
I am Seyi Williams by name and I got the Willy Wears from my name Williams and through the help of some friends.
What inspired the idea of Willy Wears and Associates, and what was (were) the goal(s) set on conceptualization of the idea?
[I] Could say it’s because of the love I have for fashion, creativity, style and and my desire to impact others through it. During my school days, we noticed in the history of LASU, nobody have actually been able to orientate students on fashion, creativity and style or show students  how to support  themselves through this means while in school. But then, I and some few friends helped some fashion organizers to host fashion shows in UNILAG in 2014. 
So, we thought if we can do this in other schools, we can also be of help to our own school; that was how we started recruiting, noticing some talents in fashion, modeling and photography and this was how we turned the dream to reality. Presently now, 50 percent of Lasuites are into one of this platforms we created.
What’s the plan for subsequent Willy Wears and Associates fashion show?
We’ve been doing this fashion show for over two year, and now with the target of enhancing, empowering, and encouraging youths on how to support themselves through fashion; it’s a dream we are not ready to end. Part of our plan is to visit different institutions, to be of good impact to them through fashion, create an avenue where they can learn some fashion skills and make good money for themselves.

We are not sure of doing any fashion show this year because of youth service, but we will definitely do some amazing things which we are planning but not ready to be disclosed.
With so much success gained from this venture of yours, how do you handle the attention especially, from the ladies?
Well, I am young, and girls love what we do but I have been able to respect my business so far and face business before pleasure. I don’t flirt with my model or business partners. Business is always business.
Talking about relationship, are you in any serious one?
I will go by a quote  I usually see on the internet which says if you are in a relationship, tell no one;  travelling, tell no one; happy,  tell no one. So, I guess I will like to keep that private.  
As a budding entrepreneur looking to make a name in the fashion industry, what were the early challenges you faced and how did you manage it?
Well, I will say everyone have one challenge or the other but so far, I have been able to face mine through  prayers and God have been working everything  out for me. Whatever I want that I have not gotten, I take it that is not yet time. Some major challenges are sponsorship, availability of materials, but God have been so good.
Jostling between professional and private life could be an uphill task for any individual, how do you go around yours?
Well, it’s God though, I mix them but could tell most people don’t know my real self from when am working but for now, have been able to cope.
Congratulation on the business venture/event of the year category award Lagos Entrepreneurship Students Forum recently bestowed on you, how amazed were you?
Well, I have nothing much to say than to say thank you Lord and appreciate my team who made all of this possible – my models, friends and family who nominated me and voted for me even before I knew there was something like that going on in Lagos. Actually, I’m happy that have been used as a tool of good impact to my generation and grateful to them for appreciating my effort. 
Willy Wears 
You made mention of ”institutions”, “fashion my attitude” started in LASU, it has been reported on the school website that you’ve been “banned from organizing and sponsoring any show or event on campus”, what’s your take on this?
Let me start with this quote by Yobolus. He said and I quote, “If for the desperation of what you want to obtain, you neglect what you ought to maintain, on the long run you just might have nothing to retain.” Before Fashion My Attitude, we had a previous show which was a blend of fashion and music and some series of street shoot which gave birth to Fashion My Attitude season1; because our dreams became big and we realize the need to help more people, more models, designers and stylist. All of this shows were authorized by the school authority. 
Now please tell me, is it possible for someone who has done event not ones or twice in same school not to understand the rules of that same school? Is it possible for us not to take permission before we organize an event in the same school? I leave you to answer that.
We are a fashion company having a deal with an institution. Definitely, we will actually go through someone. We collaborated with faculty of art to do the show.  Their duty was to get an approval and ours was to make sure we give the students the best and make the event successful, which we did.
Truly, on the day of the event, I went to the students affairs to get a letter which wasn’t my call of duty.  On getting there, I was told to go and make some corrections on the letter, so I called the president (Faculty of Art) and gave the letter to him to do the corrections. He later came back to me to say everything has been sorted. 
And truly, I saw all we needed for the event; the hall, security, space and every other thing we needed for the event. The event was held without violence, no chaos on that day and so far till date, “Fashion My Attitude” have been one of the best event in Lagos State University that has no record of violence or trouble.
Four weeks later, after the event, I got a later that we didn’t complete the process of approval which the president (Faculty of Art) till date is able to defend that he did. We really don’t know where the conspiracy came from but our organization won’t in anyway want to disobey any rule and regulations of any institution. We seek for some legal advice and we were told to write a letter to explain ourselves  which we did and the school  authority promised to look into the case next semester which we believe we be resolved soon.
Till when the issue is resolved, what message do you have for your fans and supporters, who after seeing the announcement of the ban are probably not expecting a comeback?
All I want to say is we love them and we will always give them the best of all the best. They are the ones who voted our brand as best students event of the year/business venture in Lagos without any of our  team knowing for about four weeks; so, I believe this people have seen our good deed and believe in us because we have never disappointed and we won’t. We Promise to keep our fan posted soonest on any development.
Thanks for your time.
You are welcome.
Below are some pictures from Willy Wears Fashion Show Seaso 1:











© 2016 The Pace News. All rights reserved. 
#TrimmzOnline 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.